Tuesday, October 8, 2013

As Good As It Gets

And the word of the Lord was good. I mean the nuclear medicine doctor. My blood work is markedly better than when I came here 2 months ago. The scans showed reduction of tumor size, especially in the liver. Absorption of the radiation was better than the last time, which was quite good. Doctor Wild thought that I could see shrinkage or stability of the tumors for 1-2 years, maybe more. I will need a follow up scan in 10 weeks and bi weekly blood work, which will show how this treatment worked. Because there were no significant effects to my bone marrow or kidneys, I should have no trouble repeating this treatment when necessary. A woman who was being treated with me is on her 5th visit. He also said that I should continue on the Sandostatin and perhaps consider chemo or radio embolization of my liver. When I see Dr. Yu in two weeks I'll talk it over with him.
Basically my response to treatment was as good as it gets.
In terms of other effects, I've had short bits of low level nausea, but the Zofran keeps it under control. I think the Emend has also made a significant difference. My appetite is good and energy levels are relatively high. I think I am mostly over the jet lag. I had dinner with Charlie and Sylvia at an Italian restaurant near the hospital and we took a walk along the Rhine. If you look at my Facebook page,Sylvia's photos should be there. I get out tomorrow morning and then its on to visit Roman ruins outside the city. Then we are off to Zurich and 10:00 plane to JFK on Thursday.
Maybe there is hope for a ripe old age yet. Until then back to planning ridiculously grueling bicycle rides. Gaps of Vermont this summer anyone? http://youtu.be/QOcyIuFo8P4 (I think this would be a two day ride for me.)
DESCRIPTION
"131 miles, 6 major climbs & 12,000* feet of elevation gain! I went out on a beautiful day, with temps in the 80's. I started around 10:30am and finished around 8 hours later. Elizabeth followed me along in the truck and captured the footage that you see here.The 6 gaps are, Brandon Gap, Middlebury Gap, Lincoln Gap (24% grade), Appalachian Gap, Roxbury Gap & the Rochester Gap."

No comments:

Post a Comment